- For Business
- Partition Master ProfessionalBuyTry
- Partition Master ServerBuyTry
- Partition Master UnlimitedBuyTry
To maximize the performance of dynamic volume, you may use Disk Management which provides some useful features. However, when the volume which contains your Operating System is out of space and you need to extend this volume to make sure the Operating System can work normally, you may find that Disk Management doesn't allow you to extend system volume. Actually, the extend function built in the Disk Management is not available for system volume, boot volume, Striped Volume, Mirrored Volume and RAID 5 Volume. Then some third party partition software like EaseUS Partition Master will help you copy partition, copy dynamic disk to basic or convert dynamic disk to basic and extend/resize dynamic volumes directly.
EaseUS Partition Master can resize dynamic volume directly on dynamic disk. It also provides a safe alternative: to copy the dynamic volume to unallocated space on basic disk or convert dynamic disk to basic and then resize this basic disk (How to resize the basic disk?).
It's professional to resize (shrink and extend) 5 type dynamic volumes with Resize dynamic volume feature: simple volume, mirrored volume, striped volume, spanned volume and RAID-5 volume.
You can use "Convert to basic disk" function to convert dynamic disk to basic disk to resize basic disk when your dynamic disk is setting with simple volume or mirrored volume. While you can use "Copy Dynamic Volume Wizard" function to safely copy dynamic disk to basic disk and resize this basic disk. After resized the partition, you may remain the basic disk to use or convert the basic disk to dynamic disk (If you want to rebuild Mirrored volume, please add mirror) again in Windows Disk Management, just as you like.
Besides, please be noted that these features - Convert to basic disk and Copy Dynamic Volume work only under Windows; it is not supported under bootable CD.
To resize dynamic volume, please refer to How to resize dynamic volume?
To convert to basic disk, please refer to How to convert simple volume or mirrored volume to basic disk?.
And for Copy Wizard to copy dynamic disk and then resize partition, follow instructions below:
Choose right edition of EaseUS Partition Master and install it. After that, launch EaseUS Partition Master.
Select Wizard -> Copy dynamic volume
Follow the steps below to copy dynamic volume and resize the volume: (In this case, suppose you want to copy and resize the system volume.)
1. The initial hard drive configuration.
You may find that the free space of system C: volume is not enough and needs to be extended.
2. Extend the volume by using Disk Management tool.
A box pops up and indicates that the volume cannot be extended, because it is the system volume.
3. Then you may turn to EaseUS Partition Master. Run this program, and then start "Wizard" > "Copy dynamic volume" or click "Copy dynamic volume" on the left panel.
4. EaseUS Partition Master will list all existing volumes. Select the system volume C: and click "Next".
5. The program automatically checks the volume to make copy operation faster and smoother.
6. Choose an unallocated space on a basic disk and click "Next".
7. Edit the destination partition, you can drag the borderline to resize partition or drag the central place to move the partition.
8. Click "Finish", the operation will be added to "Pending Operations" panel on the main window.
Attention: If the dynamic disk you copy is not the system volume, ticking box in step 9 is not a must while step 10 and step 11 can be ignored.
9. Click "Apply" button and tick the check-box in the pop-up window.
10. After rebooting and completing the operation, EaseUS Partition Master will shut down the computer automatically.
11. Replace the source dynamic disk that contains the system volume with the destination basic disk, and then boot the computer. (You may see the copy of C: partition has been extended.)
12. Convert the basic disk back to dynamic.
After the Simple Volume being copied or converted to basic disk and resized on a basic disk, you can convert the basic partition back to Simple Volume in Disk Management without difficulty.
If you want to convert the Mirrored Volume back after being copied and resized on the basic disk, you can convert it to Simple Volume in Disk Management first, then adding mirror with another dynamic disk.
If you want to convert them back to dynamic volumes after being copied and resized on the basic disk, these volumes should be converted to Simple Volume or Mirrored Volume.