- For Business
- Partition Master ProfessionalBuyTry
- Partition Master ServerBuyTry
- Partition Master UnlimitedBuyTry
GPT is the abbreviation of GUID Partition Table. The widespread MBR partitioning scheme, dating from the early 1980s, imposed limitations which affected the use of newer hardware. Intel therefore developed a new partition-table format in the late 1990s as part of what eventually became UEFI. The GPT as of 2010 forms a subset of the UEFI specification.
Compared with MBR disk, GPT disks can grow to a very large size. The number of partitions on a GPT disk is not constrained by temporary schemes such as container partitions as defined by the MBR Extended Boot Record (EBR). In theory, a GPT disk can be up to 128 logical blocks in length. Logical blocks are commonly 512 bytes in size.
The maximum partition (and disk) size is a function of the operating system version. Windows XP and the original release of Windows Server 2003 have a limit of 2TB per physical disk, including all partitions. For Windows Server 2003 SP1 Windows XP x64 edition, and later versions, the maximum raw partition of 18 exabytes can be supported. (Windows file systems currently are limited to 256 terabytes each.)
The Windows built-in disk management provides limited features for GPT disk management. Disk Copy is a significant feature for backup and migrating to new hard drive. But it is impossible to copy GPT disk with Windows Disk Management. So, a third party partition manager software like EaseUS Partition Master is necessary to perform hard disk copy or copy partition and manage GPT disk.
1. Download EaseUS Partition Master and install it.
After that, launch EaseUS Partition Master. Select Wizard -> Clone disk wizard -> Copy disk. And then select the GPT hard disk you want to copy.
2. Choose the destination disk.
Then the wizard will ask you to delete all partitions on your destination disk
You also can edit the disk map for the destination disk, like resize partition size.
3. Make sure all the information before copy.
4. Disk copy finished, the two disks are 100% identical to each other.
Copy a partition on a GPT disk is easy by the help of EaseUS Partition Master. Just follow these steps:
1. Select Wizard -> Copy partition wizard. And then select the GPT partition you want to copy.
2. The program will check the properties of the partition for a successful copy.
3. Choose an unallocated space as the destination for GPT partition copy.
4. You can edit the GPT partition before copy.
5. You will have a partition 100% identical to the original one on the destination disk.