Convert Primary Partition to Logical Partition
This operation is for converting a primary volume to a logical volume and applies to basic disks whose partitioning scheme is MBR.
A basic MBR disk can have either up to four primary volumes, or up to three primary volumes plus an unlimited number of logical volumes. You need to convert a primary volume to logical if you want to create a fifth volume on a disk that currently has four primary volumes.
To convert a primary volume to logical:
- Right-click the primary volume that you want to convert to logical, and then click Convert to logical.
- Click OK to add the pending operation of converting volume to logical.
- The pending operation will be performed by clicking Apply. Exiting the program without applying the operation will discard it.
- Converting the boot volume or the system volume to logical volume is not available. Otherwise, the machine will likely become unbootable.
- The size of the converted volume might be slightly different from that of the original primary volume, as some space might be required to store supplementary information.