- For Business
- Partition Master ProfessionalBuyTry
- Partition Master ServerBuyTry
- Partition Master UnlimitedBuyTry
GPT Partition Style preventing Windows 10 Installation, how to fix?
"I have upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and now I wish to do a clean install. Then I burnt Windows 10 to a disk, but, when I was trying to do it I get a problem with error message "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style." Is there any way to fix the issue and install Windows 10 on GPT partition with success?"
Since the release of Windows 10, the reports of can't install Windows 10 on GPT partition with the error message "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style" is continuing. It makes how to install Windows 10 on GPT partition become a hot topic. Here we offer you two options to fix Windows won’t install on GPT drive error and get the Windows 10 successfully installed on GPT partition.
Option 1. Reboot the PC and change BIOS mode from UEFI to Legacy. This option lets you keep the existing GPT partition style.
Option 2. Convert GPT to MBR so as to be able to use the PC’s firmware features.
Here option 1 is for advanced user as it is a little bit complicated. So, here, we would like to introduce the second option other than the first one in details. And if you want to learn more about method one, you can refer to how to fix The Selected Disk is of the GPT Partition Style in Windows 10/8/7.
Method 1. Convert GPT to MBR with Diskpart
1. Insert the Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Boot from the disc by pressing any key at the "Press any key" screen.
3. Go to "System Recovery Options" page and click "Command Prompt" option.
4. Type "Diskpart" and then press "Enter"to open the Diskpart command line.
5. Input "list disk": to check hard disk properties. Pay more attention to the capacity of hard disk to select. Usually, disk 0 is hard disk, and disk 1 is the usb dirve where wins 7 install.
6. Input "select disk 0": to select disk 0 as the disk that is operating.
7. Input "clean": to clean up current hard disk’s partition.
8. Input "convert mbr": to convert GPT into MBR.
9. Input "create partition primary size = xxx": to create the size of primary partition.
10. Input "format fs = ntfs quick": to format disk to NTFS quickly.
11. Input "exit": to finish operating.
12. Input "exit": to shut down the command prompt.
This method does help but it is not recommended for some limitations or disadvantages. First, it requires users to wipe and reformat the GPT disk for Windows 10 installing. Then you have to do an extra job - back up your files in advance. And second, Diskpart is a command prompt tool with the non-graphic interface, it is difficult for average users to operate. So, here we introduce a better solution converting GPT to MBR using EaseUS free partition software without deleting partitions or losing data.
Method 2. Convert GPT to MBR with EaseUS free partition software
1. Download and launch EaseUS free partition tool.
2.Right the GPT disk and choose "Convert GPT to MBR". The program will analyze the selected disk partition automatically.
3.Click "Apply" to keep all the changes to convert GPT to MBR to fix can't install Windows 10 on GPT partition issue.