Speaking of converting FAT to NTFS file system, people usually mean converting FAT32 to NTFS. This article will help you get better understanding of file system, FAT, FAT32 and NTFS. What's more, an easy and safe solution to convert FAT32 to NTFS file system is also provided.
What is File System?
In computing, a file system (often also written as filesystem) is a method for storing and organizing computer files and the data they contain to make it easy to find and access them.
A Brief Introduction of FAT and FAT32
FAT (File Allocation Table) is a table that the Operating System uses to locate files on a disk. Due to fragmentation, a file may be divided into many sections that are scattered around the disk. The FAT keeps track of all these pieces.
The successive major versions of the FAT format are named after the number of table element bits: FAT12, FAT 16, and FAT32. Among these three versions, FAT32 is the most advanced file system. FAT32 supports smaller cluster sizes and larger volumes than FAT12/FAT16, which results in more efficient space allocation on FAT32 volumes. (That's why we say people usually mean converting FAT32 to NTFS when speaking of converting FAT to NTFS at the beginning of this article.)
Comparison of FAT32 and NTFS file systems
FAT32 is more advanced than FAT12 and FAT16. But if you compare FAT32 and NTFS, you may find that NTFS file system has several improvements over FAT32, for example:
1. The capability to recover from some disk-related errors automatically which FAT32 doesn't have.
2. Improved support for larger hard disks.
3. Better security because you can use permissions and encryption to restrict access to specific files to approved user.
4. Faster access speed. NTFS minimizes the number of disk accesses required to find a file.
Generally speaking, NTFS is more powerful than FAT32 with improved access speed, performance, reliability, fault tolerance, recoverability, complicity, security, as well as support for long file names, large volumes. Furthermore, NTFS is the default file system for new installations of Windows Vista, and if you are upgrading from a previous version of Windows, you'll be asked if you want to convert your existing file systems to NTFS.
From above, we may know why the demand for converting file system from FAT/FAT32 to NTFS is growing.
How to Use Convert.exe to Convert FAT32 to NTFS?
Using Convert.exe is the common solution to convert FAT32 to NTFS. Below are the steps to operate Convert.exe.
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
2. At the command prompt, type CONVERT driveletter: /FS:NTFS.
3. Convert.exe attempts to convert the partition to NTFS.
The command seems to be simple. But not all computer users know this command. What's more, this operation is not visualized and you might lose your valued data due to unsuitable operation. Thus an easier and safer solution is needed to convert FAT32 to NTFS.
Converting FAT32 to NTFS in an Easier and Safer Way
How can you convert FAT32 to NTFS file system in an easier and safer way than using Convert.exe? You might need a third-party partition management tool, such as EaseUS Partition Master. It can convert file system from FAT to NTFS. With this function, you can convert FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 to NTFS easily and quickly without any data loss.
To convert FAT32 file system to NTFS (as we mainly talk about FAT32 in this article), please follow these simple steps:
1. Select a FAT32 partition.
2. Right click the partition and select Convert to NTFS.
3. The pop-up dialog box will show the source and destination file system, click "OK" to continue.
You may also do it by right clicking the mouse.
1. Partition conversion can only be realized under Windows. Linux is not supported.
2. This feature is only applicable for converting FAT to NTFS partition.
3. Source file system must be FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32 and the partition is unhidden.
4. Make sure there is minimum 3% free space on partitions.
5. The partition works well and can be recognized by EaseUS Partition Master.
6. This function is not available for EaseUS Partition Master bootable CD.
More Functions That EaseUS Partition Master Provides apart from Converting FAT to NTFS.
There are five different editions of EaseUS Partition Master to fully address the needs of different computer users: freeware EaseUS Partition Master Free Edition for 32 bit and 64 bit home users, EaseUS Partition Master Professional Edition for 32 bit and 64 bit business users, EaseUS Partition Master Server Edition for Server users, EaseUS Partition Master Unlimited Edition for large enterprises, and EaseUS Partition Master Technician Edition for IT Consultant.
Do you want to convert your FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 volume to NTFS file system to maximize your computer performance? Choose the suitable version of EaseUS Partition Master to have a try.
Do not forget to back up your data in Case of Data Loss! Back up with the most advanced backup software - EaseUS Todo Backup Workstation.
Thanks for visiting EaseUS, please let us know how we can improve this article or make it more useful to you. Should you need technical support please feel free to contact email@example.com.
Copyright © 2005-2013 CHENGDU Yiwo® Tech Development Co., Ltd. All rights reserved.
Partition Magic ® is a registered trademark of Symantec Corporation.