Make your life easy!
Need to convert FAT to NTFS? How to convert FAT to NTFS without data loss easily and safely? This article will provide an easy solution to convert FAT to NTFS in order to help those who want to optimize the usage of their computers with a more reliable file system.
NTFS is an Advanced File System Compared to FAT
Before converting FAT to NTFS, you might want to know why it is necessary to convert FAT to NTFS.
Generally speaking, NTFS has several improvements over FAT such as improved support for metadata and the use of advanced data structures to improve performance, reliability, and disk space utilization, plus additional extensions such as security access control lists and file system journaling.
Converting FAT to NTFS by Convert.exe is One Solution.
FAT partition can be converted to NTFS by using Convert.exe.
To find out more information about Convert.exe, please follow these steps:
1. After completing Setup, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
2. In the command window, type help convert and then press ENTER. Information about converting FAT volumes to NTFS is made available as shown below.
To convert a FAT volume to NTFS from the command prompt, follow these tips:
1. Open Command Prompt. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
2. In the command prompt window, type: convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs
Note: Once you convert FAT to NTFS, you cannot simply convert it back to FAT or FAT32. You will need to reformat the drive or partition which will erase all data, including programs and personal files, on the partition.
Convert FAT to NTFS without Data Loss in an Easier and Safer Way
Changing a volume's existing file system can be time - consuming. Since not all computer users are computer experts, it's definitely a difficult task for those who are not familiar with command line. Then, an easier and safer solution is needed to convert FAT to NTFS. And comprehensive partition software can fully meet this requirement which helps converting FAT to NTFS without any data loss.
Here are the steps for server users to convert FAT partition to NTFS using a powerful partition tool named EaseUS Partition Master Server Edition.
1. Select a FAT12/16/32 partition.
2. Right click the partition and select Convert to NTFS.
3. The pop-up dialog box will show the source and destination file system, click "OK" to continue.
You may also do it by right clicking the mouse.
Some tips on converting FAT to NTFS with EaseUS Partition Master.
1. Partition conversion can only be realized under Windows. Linux is not supported.
2. This feature is only applicable for converting FAT to NTFS partition.
3. Source file system must be FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32 and the partition is unhidden.
4. Make sure there is minimum 3% free space on partitions.
5. The partition works well and can be recognized by EaseUS Partition Master.
6. This function is not available for EaseUS Partition Master bootable CD.
Besides, other four editions of EaseUS Partition Master are also available to address the needs of different users: freeware EaseUS Partition Master Free Edition for 32 bit and 64 bit home users, EaseUS Partition Master Professional Edition for 32 bit and 64 bit bussiness users, EaseUS Partition Master Unlimited Edition for large enterprises, and EaseUS Partition Master Technician Edition for IT Consultants to provide independent technical services to multiple clients for their PCs and servers.
No matter whether you convert FAT to NTFS using Convert.exe or EaseUS Partition Master, it is always a good idea to back up your data before you convert.
Free download EaseUS Partition Master Server Edition to convert FAT to NTFS on your server computer.