A dynamic disk is a physical disk that provides features that basic disks do not, such as support for volumes spanning multiple disks. Dynamic disk is a good choice for people who want to maximize the hard drive performance under limited investment, especially for some small companies or for particular use.
While dynamic disk has two huge disadvantages too. One is that if you convert a basic disk to dynamic, you cannot convert it back to basic without data loss in Disk Management, as it is required to delete all dynamic volumes before converting. The other is that in most conditions the dynamic volume still cannot be extended, like it is system volume, mirrored volume, striped volume and RAID 5 volume. The Windows operating systems released later than Vista allow you to extend the system volume on the dynamic disk under certain conditions like it has some unallocated space near the system partition.
And these limitations could really be problems when people need to increase dynamic disk. To offset the limitation of Disk Management and offer better solution for dynamic disk resizing, EaseUS Partition Master offers two ways to resize dynamic volumes: converting dynamic disk to basic and then resize the partitions, or you can directly resize simple volumes by EaseUS Partition Master.
This article will introduce you how to resize simple volumes by converting dynamic disk to basic.
It is recommended to free download EaseUS Partition Master and follow the guidance before we go with the step-by-step instruction of how to extend simple volume by converting dynamic disk to basic directly. To convert simple volume to basic:
1. Launch EaseUS Partition Master Free Edition.
2. Select dynamic disk which you want to Convert to basic disk on the disk map, click "Disk" on main menu and choose "Convert to basic disk" or right click the dynamic disk and choose "Convert to basic disk".
3. After you choose "Convert to basic disk", you will see the dynamic disk has become basic disk on the disk map.
4. After dynamic disk is converted to basic, you may feel free to extend the system partition. For more detail about how to extend the partition, please check how to resize/move partition.
5. After resizing the basic disk, you can convert it back to dynamic disk by Windows built-in Disk Management.
This Convert to basic disk feature can only process dynamic disk with simple and mirrored volumes. The other types of dynamic volume like spanned volume, striped volume are not supported. How to convert dynamic disk with mirrored volumes?
Do not forget to back up your data in Case of Data Loss! Back up with the most advanced backup software - EaseUS Todo Backup Workstation.
Thanks for visiting EaseUS, please let us know how we can improve this article or make it more useful to you. Should you need technical support please feel free to contact email@example.com.
Copyright © 2005-2013 CHENGDU Yiwo® Tech Development Co., Ltd. All rights reserved.
Partition Magic ® is a registered trademark of Symantec Corporation.