Make your life easy!
Windows 7 has been released with a built-in feature in Disk Management that you can shrink or extend an existing partition. In fact, this feature has been provided in Windows Vista. With this feature you can shrink a large partition and create new ones, or extend a partition.
Right-click "My Computer" > "Manage" > "Storage" > "Disk Management", you'll see all existing hard disks and partitions.
You can shrink any existing partition or extend a partition with unallocated space behind it.
Follow the steps above, you can extend Windows 7 partition easily, but there is a problem you may ignore. Please note that there is unallocated space behind partition F. What about the partitions without unallocated space behind it? Let's continue.
From the screenshot, you may believe that you can extend Windows 7 partition without unallocated space, but please notice the following steps.
If you try to extend partition E, using the unallocated space before it, there will be a warning box. It means that if you continue the step, the basic disk will be converted to dynamic disk. If you converted the disk to dynamic, you cannot convert dynamic disk back to basic without data loss, except using Copy Dynamic Volume.
After these steps, you'll have the conclusion, too. Only when there is unallocated space behind a partition, you can extend Windows 7 partition directly in Disk Management. Is there another better solution to extend Windows 7 partition? The answer is yes and I'll introduce a free Windows 7 partitioning tool - EaseUS Partition Master.
1. Launch EaseUS Partition Master Free Edition.
2. Select partition E:, right click it, select "Resize/Move partition" and drag the partition handle leftwards to resize E drive. Then there will be unallocated space behind E: drive.
3. Move E: drive rightwards to let the unallocated space be behind the system partition (C: drive) and click OK.
4. Select the system partition (C: drive), right click it and select "Resize/Move partition", drag the partition handle rightwards to extend system partition (C: drive).
5. Click Apply to execute the operations.
With this free partition software, you can resize or move partition discretionarily.
Windows 7 Disk Management has the ability to shrink or extend a partition, but it is half-baked; and inconvenient to operate. With EaseUS Partition Master, you can extend Windows 7 partition easily, it also helps you copy disk/partition, format partition, delete partition, etc. Why not download to try?