Many computer users have encountered the problem that the C drive runs out of space and Windows pops up a window with Low Disk Space message. This problem is very normal for Windows XP users, as the hard disk drive is not as large as the current drives. To new Windows 7 users, the low disk space problem is also very likely to encounter, as Windows 7 installation needs more than 10GB disk space.
Windows XP displays the low disk space warning as "You are running out of disk space on Local Disk (C:). To free space on this drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click here."
If Windows 7 C drive is out of space, it will be shown in red as below:
If C drive runs out of space, it will cause many problems, such as below:
1. Hard disk drive is not big enough to accommodate all your needs, such as software update/upgrade, or install programs.
2. Windows Operating System is running slowly.
3. Windows may crash if the space is extremely low.
Following each of the below steps to resolve "c drive run out of space" issue.
1. Clean up the hard disk drive.
You can run the Disk Cleanup function by clicking on the Low Disk Space popup. This tool will scan your drives and look for files that you can safely erase. Usually this will be little help.
2. Remove programs. You can consider removing programs that you don't use and moving large media files (videos, music, graphics) to other partition. But you will spend a lot of time to do this.
3. Extend partition. You may use partition manager software to resize partition and it is the easy and efficient way. You can extend your partition as you wish and do not need to worry about data lose.
It is bothersome after C drive runs out of space, as the first and second method above could only solve this low disk space problem temporarily. Windows Disk Cleanup utility will cost much resource and time, during this time you cannot do anything with your computer. The easiest and fast way to solve low disk space problem is resizing partitions with partition manger software.
For detailed instructions, please refer Resize/Move tutorial.
Tips: Before resizing partitions, we strongly recommend you backup data with free backup software - EaseUS Todo Backup Free.
Thanks for visiting EaseUS, please let us know how we can improve this article or make it more useful to you. Should you need technical support please feel free to contact email@example.com.
Copyright © 2005-2013 CHENGDU Yiwo® Tech Development Co., Ltd. All rights reserved.
Partition Magic ® is a registered trademark of Symantec Corporation.