- For Business
- Partition Master ProfessionalBuyTry
- Partition Master ServerBuyTry
- Partition Master UnlimitedBuyTry
1."I am running Windows Server 2008. Currently the basic drive is split into two partitions with NTFS format. Now, I want to increase system partition (C: drive) size. That means I have to decrease the size of the secondary partition to gain some free space. Is there any easy way that can help to increase partition size or extend C drive in Windows Server 2008?"
2. "The C drive is out of space on Windows Server 2008 basic disk, how to expand C drive?"
1. Increase partition size on Windows Server 2008 with Disk Management.
2. Increase partition size on Windows Server 2008 with server partition software.
Similar to Windows Vista and Windows 7, Windows Server 2008's Server Manager built-in Disk Management also has the ability to resize partitions, which means you can shrink a partition and extend another partition by adding the free space. So whenever you want to increase partition size or extend C drive in Windows Server 2008, just try this free utility as your first choice.
To extend C drive, just open Disk Management, right click on C drive and select "Extend Volume" option. The Extend Volume window will pop up and then specify the amount of space you want to extend. The steps can be also used to increase any other partitions.
Please note that "Extend Volume" option will be available only if there is unallocated space behind the partition which you want to extend. If there is no unallocated space which is not clinging to the partition you want to extend, how to increase the partition size? Here, a third party server partition software is required.
If you cannot increase partition size or extend C drive on Windows Server 2008, you can try to do this job using EaseUS Partition Master Server Edition, a popular and easy-to-use server partition software. It can perform basic and advanced partition operations on your Server without data loss, including: resize and move partitions, copy partition, copy disk, copy dynamic volume, convert partition, split partition, merge partitions, etc. Moreover, EaseUS Partition Master can extend NTFS partition without reboot. All hardware RAID supported.
Tips: It is important to back up the server before resizing server partition, because nothing is 100% secure.
1. Launch the application just as you do with other program.
If there is no unallocated space behind the system C drive, please follow the step 2 below. If there is unallocated space behind the system C drive, please directly go to step 4.
2. Select the partition behind the system partition and right click it. Select "Resize/Move partition" option to drag the partition handle leftwards to shrink its size. Then there will be unallocated space behind it.
3. Move the partition which you just shrink rightwards, then the unallocated space will be behind the system C drive, click OK.
4. Select the system C drive, right click to select "Resize/Move partition", drag the partition handle rightwards to extend it.
5. Click Apply.
After EaseUS Partition Master executes the operations, you will have the bigger system C drive on Windows Server 2008.